Friday, November 10, 2017

Designing a sweater from a favorite t-shirt

I've "discovered" a new crochet stitch (in other words, I learned a stitch that has probably been around forever). Tamara Kelly of mooglyblog.com has a great tutorial for the Moss Stitch, which produces a flat fabric with good drape, perfect for a light sweater.  I decided to use a t-shirt to determine measurements and try to create a pattern.

I have never done this before, so I am very much making it up as I go along.  I am documenting the process on my blog so that I can do it more efficiently next time.

Step 1: Create a gauge swatch


  • Moss stitch creates slightly shorter stitches than regular sc, resulting in essentially even row and stitch counts.  In my case, using an I hook and fingering weight yarn, 20 stitches measured 4.5", and 20 rows measured 4.25"
  • I am impatient to start crocheting, so for now I am going to call it 4.5 st/inch and 4.5 rows/inch. It is possible that I will regret being imprecise.
Step 2: Measure the T-shirt

  • I pinned the shirt to blocking mats without stretching. I decided to leave the sleeves for the time being because they did not want to lie flat.  

  • Then I started measuring. Here's what I came up with:



Try to ignore the chicken scratch around the edges :)

I'm going to stop here so this post doesn't get too long, but I will be back with more progress. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 comments!